Purpose of the role:
Reporting to the Head of Engineering, the Design Manager is responsible for the timely and compliant production of all design deliverables relating to those CambridgeHOK design and build projects allocated to him/her. Design disciplines will typically be covered by a mixture of in-house and sub-contract resource. Design disciplines will typically include civil, structural, fabrication, mechanical services (HVAC and irrigation), electrical and controls engineering.
The role includes evaluation of client specifications, internal and client design reviews, supervision of project document control, design change management, liaison with site teams and independent regulatory authorities as required.
Although the role is based in the UK (Newport), projects are likely to be sited in Holland and there will therefore be a requirement for regular international travel.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for facilitating the delivery of all project design to programme and to design budget
- Development of initial concept designs to fully detailed design.
- Develop design programmes
- Monitor resource allocation and expenditure against programme and design budget
- Report progress against technical requirements, programme and design budget
- Ensure the overall design is functionally and spatially coordinated
- Chair internal and external design reviews
- Be the primary technical representative for CambridgeHOK on allocated projects
- Ensure quotations from sub-contractors and suppliers are reviewed and purchase orders placed in a timely manner in line with project budgets
- Ensure the procurement team are provided with bills of materials and timelines for the materials to be delivered.
- Ensure comprehensive design packages are handed over to the Operations Team.
- Ensure that design risk assessments are in place, signed before designs are issued.
- Undertake quality and snagging visits on site, checking workmanship and installations against design.
- Attend project meetings internally, on site and with clients as required.
- Assist in the resolution of problems and issues on site as they occur.
- Ensure project documentation is completed to programme (e.g. Operation & Maintenance manual, warranties, certificates, “as built” drawings, etc)
- Any other reasonable tasks as required.
Back to Current Vacancies
Reporting To: Head of Engineering
Contract Type: Fixed Term
Qualifications and Experience:
- Previous design management experience in a construction-related field
- Minimum of Degree qualified in a relevant discipline
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, a strong collaborator with team working skills
Ideally a Charted Engineer