Purpose of the role:
Reporting to the Mechanical Services Design Manager, the Irrigation Engineer is responsible for developing concept and detailed irrigation schemes across a variety of horticulture applications, ranging from commercial glasshouses, research facilities and indoor vertical farms.
The role involves producing initial design concepts and associated cost estimates, through to detailed design, development of BoM’s and installation design. Close coordination with other structural, HVAC, electrical and controls design disciplines is critical. The role will also require site support during installation and commissioning.
Roles and Responsibilities:
Review enquiries and provide concept designs and costings and assist in tender preparation including specification writing.
- Development from initial concept designs to full detailed design on successful projects.
- Produce detailed designs for a range of systems which will include sizing of tanks, pumps, pipes, valves etc., complete with supporting calculations.
- Attend design & project meetings internally and with clients as required.
- Liaise with the controls team to agree a control philosophy and assist creation of descriptions of operation.
- Provide the procurement team with bills of materials and timelines for the materials to be delivered.
- Ensure comprehensive design packages are handed over to the Operations Team.
- Ensure that design risk assessments are in place before designs are issued.
- Undertake commissioning assistance on site, checking workmanship and installations against design.
- Prepare documentation for the Operation and Maintenance manual, obtaining copies of warranties, certificates and “as fitted” drawings.
- Support the customer post installation and assist technically in the resolution of problems as they occur.
- With other team members, develop and document standard details and approaches to recurring design challenges.
- Develop and maintain knowledge of latest irrigation techniques and best practice methods.
- Any other reasonable tasks as required.
Back to Current Vacancies
Location: Gilberdyke, East Yorkshire + work from home 2 days a week
Reporting To: Engineering Director
Contract Type: Permanent
Qualifications and Experience:
- Graduate mechanical engineer (or related discipline)
- Ability to design and specify fluid management systems
- 2D AutoCAD experience
- An understanding of commercial irrigation systems is desirable but not essential
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, a strong collaborator with team working skills