Senior Mechanical Design Engineer
Reporting to: Design Manager
Location: Newport, Brough
Purpose of your role:
Reporting to the Design Manager, the Senior Mechanical Design Engineer is part of the mechanical team at CambridgeHOK. The Senior Mechanical Design Engineer will take instruction and guidance from the Lead Mechanical Design Engineer for daily engineering activities and is responsible for mechanical design from concept to detailed design. You must work closely with the sales/estimating team to provide concept designs, estimates and budgets to a wide-ranging variety of projects. The Senior Engineer will have a wide breadth of knowledge of all HVAC. In addition to main design duties this role enjoys a close working relationship with live engineering projects. You will need to support the site operations team and be able to make informed decisions on all HVAC matters.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Assist the sales and business development team technically on qualified enquiries, providing information and advice and attending sales meetings as required.
- Review enquiries and Provide concept designs and costings and assist in tender preparation including specification writing. Checking and verifying concept designs from Mechanical Team engineers.
- Development from initial concept designs to full detailed design on successful projects.
- Produce detailed designs for a wide range of systems which will include sizing of chillers, air conditioning, AHU’s, pipework, air flows etc.
- Calculate heat losses, heat demands, flow rates, pump/fan sizes, pipe/duct sizes etc. Check and confirm design calculations for all mechanical designs.
- Create and assist other creating detailed written specifications, with drawings for the mechanical part of projects. Liaise with other engineering teams to provide comprehensive design packages.
- Liaise with the controls team to agree a control philosophy and assist creation of descriptions of operation.
- Responsible for mechanical designs to agreed project budgets and ensuring all team members take financial responsibility in design.
- Acquire and review all quotations with sub-contractors and suppliers. Checking and question costs put forward by all mechanical engineers.
- Responsible for reforecasting of project mechanical budgets in Easybuild.
- Provide the procurement team with bills of materials and timelines for the materials to be delivered.
- Ensure comprehensive design packages are handed over to the Operations Team.
- Ensure that design risk assessments are in place, signed before designs are issued.
- Undertake quality and snagging visits on site, checking workmanship and installations against design.
- Attend all project meetings internally and with clients as required.
- Assist in the resolution of problems and issues on site as they occur.
- Prepare documentation for the Operation and Maintenance manual, obtaining copies of warranties, certificates and “as fitted” drawings as necessary and provide information as required.
- Support the customer post installation and answer queries.
- Ensure your CPD is kept up to date and relevant.
- Any other reasonable tasks as required.